Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Slowly Rolling...

Motivation is slowly but surely picking back up. Partly because I'd like to fit into new pants by Thanksgiving and partly because I'd like to be heathier in time for my wedding.

Exercising in the cold is hard. I don't know how I found the inspiration to walk every day in Minnesota, which is much colder than Chicago. Actually, that's a lie. I used to walk every night either with little Becky, Annie, my Mom or my brother. We actually "hung out" by exercising. We'd talk about our lives, what was bothering us and what we were currently enjoying. I had not one, but several walking buddies. I think it really made a difference back then.

The trouble now is that we all live just far enough away from each other to make group exercise sort of a pain. We'd have to meet at a central location, we'd have to plan time that works for everybody, or we'd have to be willing to take turns traveling to each other's neighborhoods. This sounds easy in theory, but difficult in practice.

I feel like it is normal to have exercise and dieting ebbs and flows, the goal being to get back on track over time. As I continue forward with this diet, I am beginning to notice that the more I have a daily or weekly plan, the better I do. My breakfast and lunch plan for the week has become pretty stable, and Dan and I have 5 dinner recipes that we both really like. It's just the damn exercise. Even when I plan for it in my day, it never quite happens when I think it will. A part of it is my cold apartment. It's hard to wake up and get out of a warm bed when the air in the apartment is so freezing.

So I resolve to keep at it the best that I can and right now if that means working out at night, then so be it. I'll have to change it up once rehearsals start, but I will at least have Monday and Wednesday afternoons before class. So really it's just Tuesdays that will be affected. Just one day that I will have to plan for early morning exercise, and yet it scares me to no end...

I also have trouble working out on Thursday nights lately, which I attribute to The Office and 30 Rock. I think I just need to start doing weights on Thursday nights. That's the only probable solution, because it is hard to talk myself out of watching good television. Especially when every other day of the week there is such BAD television.

I'd like to kick my exercise up a notch, but I haven't determined yet how to do this. I already feel like I don't have enough time for it in my day, so how do I add even more activity? I could go back up to 45 minute walks, which I think my body could definitely handle. I could also follow my 30 minutes of weight lifting with some version of yoga or light aerobics. Things to think about. Suggestions will always be taken seriously. :)

I ate all my any time points this week and for some reason feel like I'm going to gain this week. Even though Holly says I look smaller today. It's getting harder for me to tell the difference. Fitting in the Thanksgiving jeans would be a good step in the right direction.

No comments: