Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I'm baaaa-ck.

I'm exhausted. Disney World is a trip, man. Here is the lowdown.

It is extremely (EXTREMELY) difficult to diet when you are in Walt Disney World. There just aren't very many healthy options (and even the healthy stuff comes pre-made aka drenched in dressing).

I did really well on Thursday and Tuesday, as those were my "in transit" days and much easier to control. So hooray for that, I suppose.

I will say that Disney World is an excellent place to get in your exercise. We were either standing in line or walking for at least 5 hours a day. Every day Dan and I would literally collapse from leg exhaustion. We were also extremely sweaty all day long (yum). So I do think that a good portion of the crap I ate I probably immediately sweated out. At least I HOPE so. P.S. All the parks are SO GOOD for walking! I can never get over how every section of each park feels so completely different from the last. And such good people watching - man alive!

Some things I think I did really well - I had granola bars for breakfast every day. So at least there was one meal that I knew I was in control of. On Friday afternoon I had hummus and lamb for lunch, on Saturday I had a burger w/ apple slices instead of fries and on Sunday I had a salad for lunch. I did have ice cream every day that we were there, but I stuck to things on sticks (and one sugar free butter pecan delicasy in a cone). I also had just a corn dog for lunch on Monday (I wanted one so bad)! If there were greasy things I wanted as bite of, then Dan would order them and I would get exactly one bite! So that was pretty good.

Dinner times were harder. Friday night I had a small steak w/ a baked potato, but I also had mucho alcohol (and we shared a brownie sundae). Saturday night I ordered a salad for dinner, but we also ordered some amazing cuban appitizers (you tell me that you could pass up fried mashed potatoes - because I don't believe you) and of course mucho drinking! Sunday night I had pasta w/ red sauce, but also MUCHO MUCHO drinking. And Monday night for dinner I had chicken w/ broccoli and white rice, but I also consumed a pound of reeses pieces at the movies (couldn't resist). P.S. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist was pretty good in a modern John Hughes way. Dan loved it, aww.

So I feel proud of myself that I didn't eat everything in sight, but other than that there were moments when I felt bloated, or didn't even really like my food, but was too drunk to stop myself. I forgot how much drunkeness has a hand in my bad choices (I really haven't had that much to drink in a long time).

But what I REALLY feel proud of is the fact that my diet was never far from my mind. I wrote down every bad thing that I ate, bothered Dan endlessly about how much walking he thought we had done each day, and by Monday I was craving fruits and vegetables. The strangest thing is that the majority of the food I ate I chose by default, but in reality I was a little sad that I couldn't make better choices - because I wanted to! Granted - that was not my mind set while I was drinking my pomengrate cur or chowing down on ice cream, but I wanted better real food options! So that's progress, right?

Last night at the grocery store the produce smelled so good! I actually completed my shopping, looked in the cart, and realized I had forgotten all my sweet tooth snacks for the week. Everything I had was high in fiber, or a lean meat, or fruit, or veggies, or dairy. And it was all I had even looked at in the store! So that's progress too.

I'm going to weigh in tomorrow night, even though I know that I probably gained on my trip. I figure that it's better to know the damage so I can work extra hard to fix it. I was so close to 30 damnit, but I suppose either way I get my 16 week award. I have made a commitment to myself and to my diet - and life happens! Sometimes you are just in Disney World for a week and you have to eat a corn dog. It's science.

For the record, I absolutely love Disney World and would go back again in a heart beat. But maybe next time I will stay at a hotel with a kitchen in my room, so I can prepare my own food. That would be better, I think.

No comments: