Thursday, July 14, 2011

Procrastination

This is my first procrastination blog of the summer. I feel like I've "made it." I'm really a student again! :)

Another really excellent Chicago weekend. Dan took me to see Horrible Bosses on Friday. It was a pretty decent flick, especially if you are a Charlie Day fan. There were a few too many female rape jokes for my taste, but I guess I already knew it was a part of the premise so what can you do.

Saturday we raced around our neighborhood in an attempt to do everything this city could make available to us. We started with lunch at the Folk and Root Festival while listening to this killer Latin band (unfortunately I didn't catch their name). It was hot as hell so we sat in the shade and watched all the early drunks dance in the sun. From there we walked back down to our hood for the North Center Carnival. It was in an area of North Center we'd never visited before and it quite seriously felt like stepping into another dimension. There was no one on the street (not even any cars) and all of the houses had this same creepy shape. It got really quiet too, especially for Chicago. Anyway, so as we are walking in "other Chicago" we start to see this giant Ferris Wheel up over the trees. The Carnival was giant - probably the largest one I've ever been to (including the mammoth carnivals I attended in Minnesota). It kept getting more surreal though - we got there right when it opened so we were the first people to wander through. All the rides were going and creepy music... it was amazingly intense.



After one too many rides, we headed home for a brief siesta. Then I jumped on my bike and pedaled back up to Folk & Root to meet Lydia for a Mambo lesson in the dance tent followed by an evening of Rockabilly music by Rosie Flores. Lydia bought me a couple sangrias and by the end of the night I was floating around the park.


Sunday was equally awesome. We decided to walk to the Neo-Futurists despite the blazing heat (not the smartest choice I'll admit). By the time we got to Ashland and Foster we were covered in sweat, so we ducked into Konak for some cold alcoholic beverages. I can't drink beer so I asked for a "goes down like a cold beer substitute" and was given Makers Mark with ginger ale. Best. Drink. Ever. We then stumbled over to the Neo-Futurists for TMLMTBGB with our friends Joe and Renee. They asked us how many times we've been to the show and honestly at this point I've lost count. Anyway, they gave us our name tags (I was Jesus!) and we grabbed my favorite seats in the house for the show. The scripts were largely excellent. I always think that one of the scripts was the "funniest I've ever seen," but last night took the cake with a script called "Deja Shit Fit." There was a new cast member (second time we've been there for a new cast member's first performance) and although she stumbled a bit, she was pretty damn good.


This week I started my kids on shadow puppetry and it was a huge hit. We spent probably 30 minutes of each class with the lights off, flashlights in hand, doing shadow puppet ceiling dancing to the Where the Wild Things Are soundtrack on Monday. The puppet show is going to be to the song All is Love and when I asked them to describe what they saw in their heads while listening to the song, one of the students said, "It makes me feel all of the love in my heart." Awesome teaching moment. Wednesday we started building shadow puppets for the song and they are incredible. I'm hoping to record the performance because I have a feeling the video might cement any future teaching job down the road. I mean, these kids are K-3 and they have clouds on wires soaring across the shadow puppet stage. It was also one of my student's birthdays and he LOVES vampires, so I brought in the Juno soundtrack and had them do a shadow puppet ceiling show to the song Vampire. They kept saying, "this song is too happy to be about vampires Miss Danielle." And then they would chase after me while making scary noises.


Other things: this weekend Dan and I were talking about all the travelling we've been lucky enough to do over our first five years as a couple. We've been to Disney, OBX, Emerald Islad, Amelia Island, Wisconsin Dells (multiple times), Spring Green (multiple times), Minneapolis, Michigan, London (just me) and Ohio. Anyway, I was sort of lamenting to Dan that after going to London I realized that my image of foreign travel had changed a lot. I was happiest when I was on my own walking around Annie's neighborhood and completely unenthused by any of the "sites" that we visited. I also started talking about feeling a little sad that travel for us is going to become very strictly Minnesota, Ohio and OBX until I finish school. Then I sort of flashed back to the "the trip," the backpacking dreams I had for senior year of undergrad and how they never came to fruition. So I was talking about that... for a long time. And telling Dan how I still want to do it, but once we have kids it's definitely out of the picture. And he just looked at me and said, "Would you want to do this on your own?" And I said, "Yeah, to do it the way I'm imagining and to avoid European tourist trappings I think I'd have to." And he said, "Ok. I know you have the savings for it, so why don't you go over your school's spring break?" And that was that. I looked at Columbia's spring schedule and I would have nine full days of travel (plus two for the flights back and forth). I don't think that's enough to do a huge backpacking trip, but luckily eventually Dan would like to see Italy, Greece, Ireland and Scotland with me (so I can save those for another day). So right now I am planning a trip that would look like this: Fly into Paris (I've already been to London and it's the most centralized for the trip I'm planning), then 2 days in Bruges, 3 days in Amsterdam, 2 days in Luxembourg, and end back in Paris. I might swap out a day in Amerstam and a day in Paris to visit Ali's aunt and uncle on the southern shore of England... I just have to make sure it works with their schedule and that it will be an easy jaunt to add to the trip. Things also might change - I might decide to fly into Spain instead and then fly up to Amsterdam, then to Bruges, then to Luxembourg, then fly home from Paris. I know flights around Europe are cheap, but what I'm really worried about is doing a one way flight to Spain and a one way flight home from Paris. Many of the deal sites online are typically roundtrip excursions. So that's sort of a dream addition and will purely depend on what types of flight deals I find.


Anyway. It's been fun to think about. Recently Dan's office has been tossing the "furlough" word around though... so if he is given a bunch of forced days off I would likely put this trip aside for 2013 and take him on our dream American trip instead (rent a convertible, drive from San Francisco to San Diego along US Highway 1).


Okay... HAVE to finish studying for this exam and HAVE to start writing these two essays. Yikes.









No comments: