Sunday, December 14, 2008

Upon which I fall down and embarrass myself publicly.

Let's be clear here. I am rarely embarrassed in public. And I do a lot of stupid things. All the time. Things that I'm sure embarrass Dan. Things that I KNOW embarrass my family. But I am pretty confident in who I am and I don't care what people think.

So here is the scene. I am at the corner of Clark and Diversy, which is a highly traversed area of town. I am out marketing. I think I will be sly and run through the stalled traffic to put up a flyer at Jamba Juice. So I am speed walking. Not running, just hustling. And all the sudden I fall - FACE FORWARD into the street. Like, where the cars are rolling. Not in the walking intersection. In the jay walking portion of the road, people. And instead of landing flat on my face, I put out ONE KNEE. Not two, one. You know, so the impact will be greater. The impact is so great, so jarring I guess you could say, that I let myself fall all the way forward. And then I feel the urge to vomit hit. And I am scared of vomiting in public. So I lay on my stomach. On the ground. In the road. In front of the bus stop. Which had about 12 people standing at it. Not to mention all the cars that are now stalled in traffic because I am LAYING IN THE ROAD. 

After about thirty seconds a nice looking man walks over to see if I'm okay, because I'm not moving. And I get up on my own, suppressing the urge to cry and vomit. And then I find my marketing buddies and I suppress the urge to cry. They however, god bless them, do not suppress the urge to let alcohol solve all my problems.

So my knee is swollen, bruised and my pride has taken a plunge. Such is life.

On the plus side I lost 1.2 pounds at Weight Watchers last week, which puts me at 39.4 pounds. I am very close to 40 now and it feels so good. I really wanted to be there before Christmas so that I could use it as motivation. And so far it is working. I have been eating really well and getting in more exercise. Friday night Dan and I went walking all over town marketing, Saturday I spent the entire day shopping (it counts) and today I got in some weight lifting and some walking before I fell over and hurt myself. Sigh.

Tomorrow I need to make it the bank, grocery shopping, I need to pick up the last costume piece, and I also want to do some serious marketing. I hope that my knee allows these plans to happen. It's also the plan to market on Wednesday, so that's another day of exercise. I want to start trying to take a 30 minute walk over my lunch break when I'm at CST, but that's easier said than done when your boss is crazy. 

I can't believe that Christmas is coming so quickly. We're going to Zoo Lights Friday, Annie is coming in  Sunday, we're taking her to Christkindlemart next Monday, and then we're driving home next Tuesday! I mean, a lot of rehearsal falls in there, and I think a Blackbird meeting too. So it will go even faster than I expect it to. 

I still sort of feel like I'm going to throw up. I've never had falling down do that to me before. I want to go to sleep but I've been having a hard time falling asleep lately. I think a part of it is excitement every night after rehearsal. And maybe a little nerves too. I have to get it under control. It's starting to get bad, running on so little sleep.

No comments: